Customizing default roles
Regardless of size or complexity, people in one logistics operation perform functions or tasks that a person in another logistics operation would recognize. On this basis, SmartTurn has created default roles reflecting the functions or tasks common to most operations. They can serve as a template from which to begin. However, as with any security considerations, you need to carefully review the permissions assigned to each default role and determine how well it fits for your company before you begin assigning those roles to users. More than likely, you'll want to make small or large changes to them to customize them for your company.
Before you do this, it would be helpful to review some tips about defining roles before you start configuring roles for your company. See Role strategies.
To customize a default role:
- From Administration>Roles, select one of the default roles. Default roles have the word "Default" in the name.
You can always request a current list of default role configurations from SmartTurn.
- To filter the list: If there are too many roles in the list for you to locate the default roles, you can filter the list using the Filter and Contains fields above. More info...
- To sort the list: Click any of the column labels. If the list has more than 25 roles, SmartTurn creates additional list pages. When you click the column labels to sort the list, SmartTurn includes all the roles from the overflow pages in the sort.
- Highlight the role and clickCopy up above. The Add Role screen appears. The editable Role name field is pre-filled with the name, "Copy of <...default role name>", the selected Business Affiliate type matches the default role, the Description is blank, and the Permissions checked in the tabs down below are exactly the same as the permissions checked for the default role.
- Enter a name for the role in the Role field. (Role names must be unique, and can contain up to 50 characters.)
- Verify the Business Affiliate Type selection. If it fits with the role you are creating, leave it as is. If not, change it. More info...
- Enter a Description for the role. (Role descriptions can contain up to 200 characters.)
- Review the checked permissions in each functional area tab. Uncheck those permissions you do not want for this role, while checking any additional permissions you would like to assign to this role.
The permissions that are available to assign to a role are determined by the license bundles(s) to which your company subscribes.
- When you are satisfied with the set of permissions in each tab, select OK. This saves the role changes. The role record closes, and the new role appears on the list of roles at Administration>Roles.