Splitting receipt items
To split is to separate line items of the same item master. This is useful for instance if you need to enter different attributes, such as different serial numbers.
There are two ways to split the quantity in single line items:
- A basic Split splits the single line item into two line items. The first line has the original quantity and the second line has zero quantity. Adjust the quantities between the two lines.
- A Split by Qty splits the single line item into as many lines as there is quantity. For example, if the quantity is 10 ea, Split by Qty creates 10 lines that each have quantity 1 ea.
- On a receipt, you may need to put away different quantities of the same receipt item to different locations, assign serial numbers or different expire dates, etc.
To Split a receipt item or Split by Qty:
- Select the check box on the far left of a row for an item you would like to split.
- , select Split up above the receipt list. The screen refreshes, with the single line split into two rows, and the receipt still editable. The Received qty SmartTurn displays in the upper of the two rows is the original Received qty. The application sets the Received qty in the lower of the two rows as zero.
- , select Split by Quantity in the toolbar above the receipt list. The screen refreshes, with the single line split into separate rows—each row has a Received qty of one.
The unit of measure (UoM) for the split line(s) is always the same as the original line's receiving UoM, so if you split an item received in cases, the added line(s) will be in cases. You can always edit this when you key in the actual quantities.
- For a basic Split, key in your adjusted Received qty for both rows. (For a Split by Qty, the Received qty is already 1 per line.)
If you defined custom fields, the new (split) line has the same value for each custom field as the original line did. Important Note: This value is different than any defaults defined the Business Process Details if you edited the custom field value on the original line before splitting it.
Tip: If you want to assign Serial numbers (or different putaway Locations, License #s, Lot #s, etc.) to some—but not all—of an item’s quantity, you can use the Split function to separate off single quantities. For instance, if you have an original Received qty of 5, and 2 of the quantity require serial numbers (or different putaway Locations, License #s, Lot #s, etc.), you could split a line, and then split it again. The result would be three rows of the same item.
- When finished, select Receive to receive the items into inventory. A closed receipt appears.
Or, select Save or Save & Continue Editing to save the receipt and receive it later.
If you close the receipt, note that SmartTurn displays the Ordered qty on the rows you split as the original total ordered quantity.
If the sum of the Received qtys in the split rows does not equal the original Received qty, SmartTurn does not prevent the receipt from closing. The PO, however, remains open until you receive all items, or manually close the PO.