Add a custom field to a screen with tabs
If you are adding a field to the Custom tab, you are working with a field with either the
Outbound Business Process. These fields describe attributes of the documents, meaning Purchase Order, Sales Order, Receipt, or Shipment. These fields appear in the header section, and not in the table part that describes each item. Many of these screens have tabs. SmartTurn prevents you from adding custom fields to tabs that contain core fields. Instead, when you add a custom field to a screen that has tabs, that field only displays in the Custom tab.
To add a custom field to a screen with tabs:
- Select Administration>Custom Pages. A list displays of all of the customizable pages in SmartTurn.
- In the list, locate the page to which you want to add a custom field. Not sure where to put the custom field?
- Highlight the page and click Edit, above. Or double-click the line for the page. The Edit Custom Page screen appears.
- If the Edit Custom Page screen has two tabs, Custom and Table, select the Custom tab. (Some pages only have tables (also called "lists"), and do not have a Custom tab. So if you don't see two tabs, you won't be able to add a custom field from the
Outbound Business Process to this page. Learn more...)
- ClickAdd in the toolbar above the field list. A pop-up window appears, with a list of both the Custom and Core fields available for the page you are customizing.
The pop-up contains a list of Custom and Core fields available for the page, whether or not they are currently displaying on the page. The presence of a field in the pop-up window does not mean that the field isn't currently displayed on the page. The list of fields on the Edit Custom Pages screen is the current list of fields in the display.
- Check the box to the right of the field(s) you want to add. Click OK. The pop-up window closes, and the field(s) you selected appear in the list on the Edit Custom Page screen.
- As needed, you can make additional changes to each field on the custom page:
- Review the top-to-bottom order of the fields on the list. This sequence represents the top-to-bottom sequence of the custom fields on the Custom tab. If you want to modify the order of the fields, check the checkbox next to that field, and use the Up and Down arrows to re-position the field in the list.
- Enter an Override name if you want to specify a different name for the field in this page. (Entering an Override name here has no impact on the Override name on other pages. You must change the Override name of the field on each page in which it appears.)
- If the page you are modifying is a page on which edits are possible, you may have the option to make the field an Editable field. If you want the field you are adding to be editable on this page, check the box for Editable.
- If you want this page to allow for a wider or more narrow display of the data for the new custom field, in Display Length, enter the number of characters (for text field) or digits of precision after the decimal place (for a quantity field) you want the display to allow. (Just as with Override name, changing the field Display Length here has no impact on the Display Length on other pages. You must change the Display Length of the field on each page in which it appears. Also, note that the Display Length only applies for fields when they appear in list views; it does not apply when fields appear in tables on individual documents.)
- Review the page, and make any other changes you want. Click OK to save all of the changes to this page. The list of customizable pages at Administration>Custom Pages appears. Notice that the Change Date field for the page you modified now has a new time stamp, providing a reference for when the page was last changed.
If you add a custom field to a page that has an Export feature, each custom field you add to display on that page appears on the exported file for that page. If you enter an Override name, the field exports with the Override name.