Adding a role
Your company may have guidelines in place for creating roles and assigning permissions. Please consult your company's policies before proceeding. You can also refer to some general tips for setting up roles and maintaining users in SmartTurn.
To create a role:
- Select Administration>Roles. A list of roles appears.
- Click Add in the header above the list. An Add Role screen appears.
- Enter the Role name. The name must be unique in your system, and must be no longer than 50 characters.
- Select the Business Affiliate Type. These types are defined by SmartTurn. The Business Affiliate Type combined with the Agent For specified when this role is given to a user defines the data that the user can see. (See Understanding permissions for more information.)
- Employee: Employee is the business affiliate type for roles that are for employees of your company.
- Customer: Customer is the business affiliate type for roles for companies or partners to whom you sell and ship goods.
- Vendor: Vendor is the business affiliate type for roles that are for a vendor or supplier who provides goods to your company, thus fulfilling purchase orders.
- Carrier: Carrier is the business affiliate type for roles that are for transportation logistics service providers you work with.
- Owner: Owner is the business affiliate type for roles that are for owners of inventory that your company stores. If your company is a 3PL (Third-party Logistics operator), you may have "Owner" roles so that inventory owners can have access to see their inventory. If your company is not a 3PL, you probably won't be using roles that have "Owner" as their business affiliate type.
- Broker: Broker is the business affiliate type for roles that are assigned to third-party agents or intermediaries who conduct transactions and/or services on your behalf or on behalf of other business affiliates in your network.
- Enter a short Description for display on the Role list page (up to 200 characters). This is a required field.
- Below the Description field, there are tabs corresponding to each of the functional areas within SmartTurn. Permissions for specific tasks within the functional areas appear with check box selectors. Wherever logical, SmartTurn separates the task permissions into sub-groups. For each functional area, under the general information, specify permissions for the role you are creating by checking the box next to the permission. See Tips for defining roles.
The permissions that are available to assign to a role are determined by the license bundles(s) to which your company subscribes.
- Select OK to save the new role. The role record closes, and the new role appears on the list of roles at Administration>Roles.