Parcel posting a shipment
After you ship your shipments in SmartTurn, you can optionally Parcel Post them, either manually or with a third party application.
Depending on how you choose to parcel post your shipments, parcel posting may require third party integration. You must contact your SmartTurn representative in order to obtain the third party application.
Parcel posting refers to recording parcel-specific information to be saved in your shipment record, such as tracking number and estimated charges from the parcel carrier. (This information is typically unavailable at the time you ship the shipment in SmartTurn.)
- If you choose to parcel post manually, you enter the parcel-specific information yourself. This information is then stored in your SmartTurn shipment record.
- If you choose to parcel post with a third party application, SmartTurn launches a third party parcel delivery application, ShipRush. Through ShipRush, you can send information about your shipment directly to your parcel carriers: USPS, UPS, and FedEx. You can also receive information from your parcel carriers, such as estimated charges and tracking numbers. This information is then stored in your SmartTurn shipment record.
SmartTurn has verified parcel posting functionality with ShipRush version 7.5. Additionally, preliminary validations have been completed with ShipRush version 8.0. For more information about ShipRush, see the ShipRush product documentation and select the ShipRush application you are using.
To parcel post a shipment in SmartTurn:
- Select Fulfillment>View Shipments. A list of shipments appears.
- Highlight the shipment you want to parcel post. The shipment must have a status of
Closed. Click Parcel Post up above.
- The Parcel Post screen appears.
The Parcel Carrier field indicates how the shipment will be parcel posted. The initial value is based on your parcel post policy, if any. More info...
- If you are parcel posting manually:
- Set the Parcel Carrier field to
Shipment carrier, to use the Carrier from the Shipment header, or to
<Enter carrier>, to key in a carrier name.
- Key in any additional information used by your organization in parcel posting, such as Tracking # or Number of Packages for this shipment. For a complete listing, see the Parcel Post section of the Shipment screen field descriptions.
- When you are finished, click OK to save your changes. The Parcel Post Status of the shipment is now
- If you are parcel posting with ShipRush:
- Set the Parcel Carrier field to
ShipRush Endicia, or
ShipRush DHL, depending on which carrier you use.
You must select a Parcel Carrier for which you have the associated ShipRush application installed.
- Optionally, select the Service Type. (If you do not select this, your ShipRush default is used instead. You also have the opportunity to change this from within the ShipRush application.)
- Optionally, check the Auto Print Shipment Label checkbox. If you have set a default package weight within ShipRush, or connected ShipRush to a supported electronic scale, checking this box and then parcel posting prints the shipment label automatically. The ShipRush application is never displayed.
- Optionally, enter a Parcel Account #. (If you have set up parcel post policies, this account number may be copied from your policy. You can edit it here.)
You can also configure a default account number for your parcel carriers in each ShipRush application, and leave Parcel Account # empty in SmartTurn. After your shipment is parcel posted, the Parcel Account # in SmartTurn is updated with the Parcel Account # used in ShipRush.
- Click OK. The View Shipments list view displays, and SmartTurn sends the information from your shipment to the ShipRush application. The ShipRush application opens on your computer, with the information from your SmartTurn shipment already filled in.
If you use an electronic scale, put the shipment package on the scale before you click OK. The package weight is automatically sent to the ShipRush application when it opens. Consult the ShipRush online help system for more information on supported electronic scales.
- After you "Ship" the shipment from the ShipRush application, the SmartTurn shipment record is updated with the additional parcel posting information, including Service Type, Total Estimated Charges, Number of Packages, and Tracking #. For a complete listing, see the Parcel Post section of the Shipment screen field descriptions.
If needed, you can parcel post a SmartTurn shipment more than once. For example, if the Parcel Carrier is unable to pick up the packages, you can parcel post the SmartTurn shipment again using a different parcel carrier. In this case, the SmartTurn shipment record is updated with the new parcel posting information.
To parcel post a shipment from ShipRush:
For additional information about the ShipRush application, consult the ShipRush product documentation and the ShipRush online help system.
- After you click OK from the Parcel Post page in SmartTurn, SmartTurn sends the information from your shipment to the ShipRush application.
If you use an electronic scale, put the package on the scale before you click OK from SmartTurn. The package weight is automatically sent to ShipRush when it opens. Consult the ShipRush online help system for more information on supported electronic scales.
If you are using the ShipRush UPS application, you have an option to enter a default weight for your shipments. However, doing so prevents you from being able to edit the shipment information in ShipRush before the parcel label is printed. Consult the ShipRush online help system for more information on the settings for each application.
- The ShipRush application opens on your computer, with the information from your SmartTurn shipment already filled in.
Some fields that are required by ShipRush may still be empty even after your SmartTurn shipment information is sent to ShipRush. If this is the case, ShipRush lists the errors in a pop-up. Click "OK" in the pop-up and key in the remaining required fields.
- In the ShipRush application, key in the remaining required fields, as well as any additional information required by your operation.
- In the ShipRush application, click "Ship".
- If you are using the ShipRush UPS application, you may also need to click "Close Day" to send the ShipRush shipment information to UPS. For the other parcel carriers, clicking "Ship" sends the ShipRush information directly to the carrier.
- The parcel information in ShipRush -- including the Service Type, Parcel Carrier, Total Estimated Charges, and Tracking # -- is sent back to SmartTurn and your SmartTurn shipment record is updated. You can view the SmartTurn parcel posted shipments to see the updates.
Any changes you make in ShipRush after this point will not be reflected in SmartTurn.
If for any reason you need to cancel the package pickup after you process the package in ShipRush, you may need to contact the parcel carrier. Consult the ShipRush online help system for more information. If needed, you can also void the shipment in SmartTurn to cancel the shipment and optionally receive the shipped items back into inventory.