Importing sales order item data
Uploading your sales order items data saves time because you enter data once (up to 500 items at once) and then see it offered as choices in appropriate places throughout SmartTurn. For instance, after you make a successful sales order items upload, you can make one click to ship the entire Sales Order. With one upload, you are communicating data across various modules within SmartTurn.
Download the sales order items import template from Online Help at Resources and tips>Downloadable import templates.
What to expect:
Depending on the number of sales order items and condition of your existing data, SmartTurn expects this process to take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. The process involves extracting data from the system you are currently using to track sales order item lists, re-arranging a copy of this data to conform to the SmartTurn upload system, and uploading.
Before you start, there are a few important things to know:
- Adding a warehouse, Creating locations, or Creating item masters. before you can import sales order items. Since you must associate sales order items with item masters, you won't be able to import sales order items until your company has set these items up. See
- Item #'s and Location names that already exist in SmartTurn. Additionally, the column labels in the spreadsheet are protected to prevent accidental renaming, because if you alter the column labels, add columns, or delete columns, the import will fail. Similarly, if you remove the three example rows at the top of the spreadsheet, the import will fail.. When you're importing data to SmartTurn, you'll need to type data to match exactly the . SmartTurn looks for a specific worksheet name during upload. In other words, the name of the worksheet within the file you upload is important; it must match the name of the worksheet SmartTurn is expecting to import. Note that while you shouldn't change the worksheet name within the SmartTurn upload template, you can name the .xls file whatever you want.. Spreadsheet filtering interferes with the SmartTurn upload process. Filtering may cause errors in the upload process, so filtering must be turned off prior to upload. SmartTurn can import only unfiltered worksheets.
- Item #. "Item #" is the first column in the spreadsheet, and SmartTurn uses it to find out how to process the row. Once the processor sees a blank "Item #" cell, it stops looking for data records, and will complete the upload with the data it has already read.. SmartTurn can import up to 500 records at a time for each sales order.
To import your sales order item data:
- To get a copy of the blank sales order items import template, download it from online Help at Resources and tips>Downloadable import templates.
The import template (SmartTurn_Sales_Order_Items_Template.xls) contains detailed instructions on the Instructions tab.
- Open the import template. Look at the Sales Order Items worksheet tab. (It might also be helpful for you to print this out so you can clearly see the names of the columns SmartTurn uses.)
Tip: The column headers contain information. Click column header cells in the Sales Order Items worksheet to see important information about values for the field, whether the field is required or optional, etc.
- Complete the Sales Order Items tab in the SmartTurn_Sales_Order_Items_Template.xls spreadsheet. Notice that the column headers are different colors. The fields that correspond to the column headers are either optional or required. Click into the cell to see more information in a pop-up.
- Required fields are noted by Red column headers. These fields must be completed for a successful import.
- Optional fields are denoted by Black column headers. You can still have a successful import with these fields left blank.
- If you have questions about what data you can put into a field, there are detailed descriptions in the Instructions tab of the template.
- Save the .xls file to your computer. Then close it, and open up SmartTurn.
Tip: You can rename the entire .xls file as you like. For instance, you can add a date, and the name of the customer this file has sales order items for: E.g. your file name could be "Sales Order Items for JJ Reed & Comp 2007-12-10.xls".
- Log in to SmartTurn.
- Go to Ordering>Sales Orders. In the toolbar for the SO list, select Add.
- Enter the Sales Order header information.
- In the SO Date field, enter the sales order date.
- In the Due date field, enter the date the order is due to the customer.
- Check Partial Shipment Allowed if the customer does not need the order to be shipped complete.
- Enter an Owner, Broker, and/or Carrier, if applicable.
Shipments you create from the Sales Order inherit the Owner, Broker, and Carrier you specify here. If, before the SO is shipped, your company SmartTurn administrator changes the status of one of the business affiliates you add to the SO to inactive, SmartTurn prevents the shipment from being saved until the business affiliate is re-activated, changed, or removed. See more information about how Business affiliate data follows inventory through transactions.
- The Warehouse field specifies the warehouse that this sales order will be fulfilled from.
If you have a multi-warehouse operation and you are in the
All warehouses context (that is, the Warehouse drop-down in the application toolbar at the top of the screen is set to "
All warehouses"), make sure to select the correct warehouse from the Warehouse field in the sales order header. Setting the Warehouse field in the sales order header to
None selected means any warehouse can ship against it.
- Under the Ship To tab, enter or select the customer. This field is required. Enter other fields under the Ship To tab as needed.
- Under the Bill To tab, if the billing address is the same as the ship to address, click Same as Ship To. Otherwise, enter the address where the billing should be sent.
- Under the Comments tab, you can enter special instructions. The History tab shows any changes to the sales order.
- At the bottom of the screen under SO Items, select Import. An Import screen appears, prompting you to locate the file on your computer.
- Follow the prompts, and identify the template you are importing.
- Click Upload. A message appears at the top of the Import screen.The message indicates whether the file data is formatted correctly, and whether SmartTurn has detected errors in the data.
- If SmartTurn determines that the data in the file is formatted correctly, the Import screen displays a message: "The upload file contains all valid rows."
If this is the case, continue with the import by clicking Import. When your import is complete, the Import screen closes and the SO items list refreshes. Continue to step 11.
- If SmartTurn detects errors, the Import screen displays a warning: "The uploaded file contains some invalid rows. Click Import to import valid rows. Invalid rows will NOT be imported."
If this is the case, look below the buttons in the Import screen. SmartTurn lists the specific errors by the spreadsheet row number.
To correct errors:
- Leave the Import screen open for reference, or copy the error statements and paste them into a text document for reference.
- Locate your import file on your computer. Open it up, correct the errors, and repeat steps 6-10.
- Once you've imported the sales order items, they appear in the SO Items list on the Add Sales Order screen. From here you can modify the imported SO items as you would with any other items.