Assigning a role
To assign a role to a user:
- Go to Administration>Users. A list of users displays.
- Highlight a user in the list, and click Edit User up above. An Edit User screen appears.
- To filter the list: If there are too many users in the list for you to locate the one you want, you can filter the list using the Filter and Contains fields above. More info...
- To sort the list: Click any of the column labels. If the list has more than 25 users, SmartTurn creates additional list pages. When you click the column labels to sort the list, SmartTurn includes all the users from the overflow pages in the sort.
- Under the Roles tab, select Add Role. An Add Role Assignment screen appears.
- Select the check box to the left of the role(s) that you want to assign to this user.
You can filter the list by entering criteria, above, into the Role or Description fields and selecting Search. You can also sort the list by clicking a column title.
- Click OK to add the role(s), or click Add to add the role(s) and search for other roles to add. Clicking OK closes the screen. The roles you assigned now appear in the list of roles on the Add User screen.
- Set the Agent for this role by selecting from the drop-down menu. It appears on the far right in the list of roles. This is a required field.
Selecting the correct Agent for is essential. If the selection is incorrect, the user may end up with access to data you didn't intend. The Agent for the role defaults to the user's Employer. Unless you want users to have access to all business affiliate data, you assign a single role, multiple times, (once for each business affiliate the user has access to) and then select a different Agent for each time you assign the role. See Assigning an agent.
- Select Save to save your changes. The Edit User screen closes, and the user list screen displays.
To learn more about roles, see Managing Roles.
To learn more about how permissions bring together roles and users, see Understanding permissions.